One of my boyfriend's favourite dishes in Spaghetti Bolognese. It is a great comfort food and right now since it is winter in Australia, it's the perfect dish. I made a few changes to the original recipe to make it a little healthier so it's not as heavy or full of fat. The measurements are only approximate so feel free to add or remove as you see fit.
We tried Brown Rice Penne with it this time and it was great. The pasta tastes very similar to normal pasta except it's a little lighter and you don't feel as tired and full after a bowl. You can get it at Bulk Barn in Canada and most health food stores in Australia. Although the healthiest way to go would be to try zucchini pasta or spaghetti squash of course. Click here for more healthy options.
- 1 package ground chicken or turkey
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 sticks of celery, diced
- 5 mushrooms, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 extra large can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of red wine
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, chopped (save some for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- Heat oil in large skillet and add in onions, 1 tsp Italian Seasoning and 1 minced clove of garlic and cook until tender.
- Add in ground turkey and cook through.
- Add in vegetables and 1 minded clove of garlic.
- Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and simmer for at least an hour.