Sunday, April 13, 2014

Thai Cashew Quinoa Salad with Ginger Peanut Dressing


So I'm absolutely addicted to quinoa right now... I know, I know, I'm a walking Vancouver cliche. (currently in Australia but started this obsession last year in Vancouver). I have found ways to incorporate it in almost every meal... with yogurt for breaky, with salad for lunch and with whatever I have left for dinner. Is there a harm in too much quinoa? I'm going to Google that right now.

Anyway, I found this recipe on Pinterest this week and had to try it. I love any Thai food, especially peanut sauce so this was a winner. I added a few extra things and I think they worked well. Let me know how it goes!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 2 cups shredded red cabbage 
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • ½ cup chopped cilantro
  • ¼ cup diced green onions
  • ½ cup cashew halves or peanuts (roasted is good)
  • 1 cup edamame (or frozen peas)
  • 1 cup chickpeas
  • Fresh lime, for a bit of tang


For the dressing:
  • ¼ cup natural peanut butter
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
  • 3 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey (or agave)
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • Water to thin, if necessary




Instructions
  1. To make dressing: Add peanut butter and honey or agave to a medium microwave safe bowl; heat in microwave for 20 seconds. Add in ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, and both sesame and olive oil and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy. If you want a thinner dressing, simply stir in a teaspoon or two of water. I had to add a few teaspoons and then make more dressing also. You need to make sure you have enough dressing to cover all quinoa. 
  2. Put quinoa (must be cooled down) in large bowl. Add in dressing so it covers all quinoa and mix well. (have a taste to ensure you have enough dressing!)
  3. Next fold in red pepper, onion, cabbage, carrots, chickpeas, edamame, cilantro and any other veggies into the quinoa. 
  4. Garnish with cashews and green onions. Serve chilled or at room temperature with lime wedges if desired.



Adapted from: Ambitious Kitchen

1 comment: