So this is going to be my first post in a long seven months. I took a bit of a hiatus as Nathan was kindly 'asked to leave' Canada for a few months. He headed back to Australia and I joined him for an awesome vacation over the Holidays in December. He is now back here in Canada and I thought it was time to try a few fun new recipes.... So things turned out alright in the end (as I've heard they always do) and now it's time to move on and start some more food bloggin!
I found this recipe on Pinterest and decided right then and there that I had to try it ASAP. It is a pretty simple salad using roasted butternut squash, pecans, hummus and any veggies you have around. We added tofu since I had some in the house and thought it would be a nice addition. Not necessary though. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 cup cubed tofu (grilled)
- 1 cup steamed spinach (or swiss chard or kale)
- 1/4 cup roasted pecans
- 1 cup hummus (homemade or store bought)
- Cook quinoa according to directions, using vegetable stock for half the water (optional) and adding 2 teaspoons curry and brown sugar to the pot before cooking
- Coat squash with olive oil, white sugar, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon curry and salt to taste. Roast in 400F oven for 30 min or until tender.
- Add squash, cilantro, tofu and spinach to the cooked quinoa and toss gently to combine. Top each bowl with pecans and hummus.
Adapted from: http://pinchofyum.com/spicy-sweet-squash-bowl